IMORTALISING ‘I SAW A VOLCANO’

 


On the gray road from sea-level to Roque de los Muchachos
We swerved around each bend, my hair whipping against my face
Thinking about the lava lake that broke open two nights ago
In the mist of early morning, I watched the sun’s first rays
Illuminate steam cloud blowing up outside by the observatory
With the sweet scent of bugloss and bitter
Smell of sulphur wrapped around me like a sheet
And each passing night, the observatory dome was kept unopened
The hopes of having new data were destroyed in despair
But we got close enough to view the earth come alive 
In the process of creating red hot island of ashes
A loud thud too subtle to suspect from the control room
I judge from my geography that it came from outside
It was dark enough not to erase sight - that 
I see the reticent volcano tell her tale
The land with it’s all red-hot passion 
Also gave away million tormented nightmares
That led us plan to flee La Palma by dawn
On the ride back to sea-level, the boiling volcano
Threw away it’s bellowing clouds of smoke at us
With choking throats and teary eyes, we reached the ferry port
Folks that see fire and smoke from afar tried to flee by ferry
That made me sympathise for locals regrettably fleeing their homes
Fire and fury blend with the sky as we flee
That being said, I write to express my reverence for the earth 
and my gratitude for this gift of life
Today is no better, no worse – just worth living!






Comments

Popular Posts